“Within a decade there will be two types of companies – those that have fully embraced AI and those that are out of business.”
Entrepreneur and visionary Peter Diamandis made this bold assertion last March at the Abundance 360 conference, and it’s enough to knock the AI skeptic out of any businessperson.
Just think of the near-instant acceptance of ChatGPT when it debuted 13 months ago. How its vast capabilities have expanded and revealed themselves. The ethical debates and the adaptations. And its inexorable advances.
If you’ve been reading my posts in 2023, you’ve probably discerned my shift from acceptance to embrace (yes) of AI tools for digital marketing. As we step (or sprint) into 2024, let’s take a look how small-to-medium-sized businesses (SMBs) can apply AI-driven email marketing strategies for better customer engagement and increased revenue generation.
3 potential impacts of AI on email
- Hyper-personalization and segmentation. AI algorithms in 2024 are poised to elevate personalization to unprecedented levels by deeply analyzing customer data, behaviors, and preferences. As a result, your SMB can deploy tailored content that better resonates with individual recipients — which leads to higher engagement and conversion rates.
- Predictive content and recommendations. By analyzing past interactions, browsing behaviors, and purchase history, AI algorithms can generate personalized product recommendations and content suggestions. This predictive approach enhances the relevance of email content, fostering stronger customer relationships, keeping your brand top-of-mind, and driving continued sales over the long term.
Automated campaign optimization. As a content strategist, I love this: SMBs can leverage AI-powered platforms to perform A/B testing, analyze results in real time, and optimize email elements such as subject lines, CTAs, and content. This continuous optimization ensures that campaigns are tailored for maximum impact, while expending minimal time and resources.
5 AI email “to dos” for SMBs
1. Harness your customer data. If your SMB is in any sense a digital operation, you’re in possession of valuable customer data. But by the nature of SMBs, its quite likely that data analytics is more of a “nice to have.” AI-powered analytics tools can change that, digging into your data at light speed to reveal customer behaviors, preferences, and purchase patterns. Suddenly, stuff you didn’t even know is now grist for targeted and personalized email campaigns.
2. Implement hyper-personalization. I know, I know: I’ve encouraged you to embrace your unsubscribes. But you can have fewer unsubs to embrace when you’re able to craft email content that speaks directly to individual recipients (we still need you humans for that!). AI allows SMBs to create and speak to audience segments based on various parameters like demographics, past interactions, and interests. THIS is email marketing at its best.
3. Adopt predictive analytics. This is where it really gets next-level: AI’s predictive capabilities can help you anticipate your customer needs and be ready to serve them. When you can recommend relevant products or services, offer personalized discounts or promotions, and anticipate the timing of customer purchases.Predictive analytics can significantly enhance the relevance (which lowers your unsubscribe metrics) and effectiveness of email campaigns. Leverage AI’s predictive capabilities to anticipate your customer needs — and cement long-term relationships. Use data-driven insights to recommend products or services, offer personalized discounts or promotions, and serve content they’re more likely to care about (and share).
4. Automate and optimize campaigns. Let’s not kid ourselves: Marketing automation entails some drudgery. But AI-powered email marketing platforms can automate routine tasks, from scheduling emails to analyzing performance metrics. This frees up time for marketers to focus on strategy and creativity while ensuring that campaigns are continuously optimized for maximum engagement and conversions.
5. Focus on customer experience. When your content educates, entertains, and provides value to your audience — when your content is specifically relevant — that’s when your email marketing strengthens customer relationships and nurtures long-term loyalty and advocacy.
Want better, more effective email marketing in 2024? AI is the key.
It’s been just over a year since ChatGPT burst onto the scene and made us all rethink so much of what we do. And some of us — even here at StitchDX — are using the technology more than others. That’s OK, because what matters is that AI tools are here, they’re not going away, and they’re ready for your SMB to start putting them to work. Whether you’re ready for AI-powered email marketing now or you’re just curious, reach out to our Digital Marketing team or click the orange chat button at bottom right.